Captain Henry James Johnston came into San Diego Harbor on a regular basis back in the mid-1800s because he was the captain of the Pacific Coast Steamship Company’s S.S. Orizaba. The Orizaba was a wooden side-wheel ferryboat steamship that operated between San Francisco and San Diego beginning in 1865. Every time he came into port, the captain looked up to the barren hills overlooking the harbor. He eventually decided to purchase the land in the hope of building a home there when he retired.
Learn about Mission Hills Heritage efforts to preserve what cannot be replaced through the judicious creation of historic Districts, and see a map to learn more: